Sunday, November 14, 2010

Great finds in Puerto Rico

Since I started coming to PR for work, I've made a pretty good effort to spend any time that I have free incorporating myself into the local culture. This trip I have been able to see the fruits of my labor, with go-to spots for food, drink, sights, and cigars.

This morning after hitting the gym at the Caribe Hilton (which is by far the nicest hotel gym I have ever seen - rivaling most private gyms), I headed into Old San Juan to a little bakery / restaurant called Cafeteria Mallorca for some cafe con leche and their famous Mallorca de jamon y queso (ham and cheese). It was as delicious as I remember. The cafe con leche itself is enough to come visit Puerto Rico.



Even though I had a little bit of free time, I did have to head back to my hotel to get some work done. On my way back, I figured I would swing by favorite cigar shop in San Juan: The Cigar House. I just recently picked up some cigars back home in Orlando so I had no intention of picking any more up, and just wanted to swing by since it was on the way back to the taxi stand. Boy am I glad I did! I was greeted by one of the shop workers and he showed me around his walk-in humidor, which boasts a very impressive selection at very reasonable prices. I figured since this guy was being so kind, I would at least pick up one or two sticks to support the local business and to be polite. When we got talking, I mentioned that I had just picked up a Camacho Liberty Series 2010 (a limited edition, numbered cigar). He told me they still had stock of the Liberty series from every year since 2006 - JACKPOT! Camacho only makes 40,000 of these cigars, which may sound like a lot, but think of it in terms of cigar boxes: only 2,000! Since I don't know of any shop in Orlando that still stocks any years prior to 2010, I picked up a 2006 and 2007, by suggestion of the shop worker saying that from 2006 - 2009, those were the two he felt were best. These cigars will be spending some time in my humidor for a special occasion!

That's all from Puerto Rico. The rest of the trip will be all business, unfortunately. It's always a pleasure to get back to Puerto Rico even if it is for business. Hopefully some time in the near future I can extend my stay for some fun!

-Jefe

No comments:

Post a Comment